A change to my study program

 Change to my study program


At university, we had a lot, but I mean, a lot of theoretical classes. Language, phonetics, literature, philosophy (only an introduction, mind you), Latin (!), etc, which I thought were interesting and enjoyed. However, sometimes I thought ‘how is this going to help me teach?’ Then, when I reached my methodology classes, things became clearer in that sense. However, there was still a good deal of theory involved. I think too much time was devoted to that and not enough to practice.


Regarding facilities, well, it was a public university, so there were 150 of us students in an enormous room and we could barely hear our teachers (but I still thing public education is the best!). That makes me think of the way they taught at the time, mostly through lectures, i.e. the teacher would stand up front and speak for ever, there wasn’t much practical work in class.

Having said that, years later, after I got an international certification as an English teacher, I realized that what I’d learned in my time at university was actually helpful, since I new the language well enough and the other subjects had helped my understanding of the world. That was  a perfect complement to my certification, which was mostly about methodology and taught me not to lecture and try to make my classes as active as possible for my students. A great match, I think.

Comments

  1. it always happens that one does not understand at the beginning what is the meaning of the subjects we are taught. jajajaj

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the best part of the whole academic experience was the realization that it was useful to develop as a teacher :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can´t imagine how hard can be a class with so many students :0

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is really common that students want more practical classes than theory

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing that there were Latin classes, it must have been challenging!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Latin is very interesting, but I don't think it is that important when it comes to teaching haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. yes, your classes are very dynamic, I like your teaching method

    ReplyDelete
  9. The synergy between your diverse university education and your certification highlights the holistic foundation crucial for effective teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We always fight for more practical classes, which are also necessary, but maybe we will realize the importance of theory in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I believe your experiences at university have been so relevant for us nowadays!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! I can't imagine a class with so many students, I think I would get bored so fast for not being able to listen. How can you make questions?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think at some point we all wonder if what they are teaching us is going to be of any use to us haha That has never happened to me with English classes:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The best concert I've been to

My dream job

Time travel to the past or future